You’ve seen them out before. They’re happy, they’re effortless, they’re free! They’re running over their lunch hour. You think to yourself, “Man, I wish I could do that, but I get too sweaty/I don’t have time/I could never pull it off.” I used to be one of these people. But I have mastered the lunch run, and it has vastly improved my workday happiness, productivity and sanity.
Generally, here’s my M.O.:
1. I eat a solid breakfast and a mid-morning snack, so when 11:45 rolls around, I’m thinking about my legs, not my stomach.
2. I do a quick wardrobe swap into my running clothes and bounce out the door for an easy short run. Generally, it’s just one to three miles. Wanna know what’s packed in my lunch-run bag? Along with my running clothes, I have:
- Makeup wipe/face wash
- Dry underwear
- Hair spritzer (If you have curly hair like me, and you’re curious, it’s DevaCurl and it’s the best thing on earth.)
- My credit card
- My office key card/badge thinger that gets me back in the door
3. On the way back to the office, I snag a sandwich and either finish the last block walking or run it out and pretend like my Jimmy John’s sandwich is a relay baton. (If you’re a lunch-packer-type, you can skip this step.)
4. I sneak back into the office and head up to the locker room or bathroom.
5. Like the classy lady I am, I wipe down with some paper towels (aka, a whore bath) and renew my deodorant.
6. Then, I spritz my hair, touch up my makeup and slip back into my work clothes. (HERE is where you REALLY, REALLY want to be sure you packed a dry pair of underwear.)
7. I grab my sandwich and head back to my desk, basking in my post-run glow.
- Before you run, only wipe off your foundation. As long as you’re wearing water-proof eye makeup, you’re golden. And that post-run glow is better than any foundation, anyway.
- Check the weather before you plan a lunch run. If there’s rain or lotsa heat in the forecast, you’ll be a wet, sloppy mess before you get back to your desk. Do it another day or find a treadmill.
- If you do have access to a shower, just splash off your body post-run, and save yourself the hassle of drying your hair.
- Find a buddy! The only thing better than running during lunch is venting about work with a friend while running during lunch. You’ll return as a renewed human, I swear.
You can do it! Make the most of your lunchtime, Angels. —Aidz